Milk Roadmap nutrient planning – United Kingdom
|Source : DairyCo - Dairy UK|
Target: 65% actively nutrient planning by 2010; increasing to 90% by 2015
Activity and Progress:
- A confluence of several factors over the past two years has lead to increasing numbers of dairy farmers using nutrient management plans on farm. The development of tools to help farmers with nutrient planning, the regulatory impact of a new NVZ Action Programme and rocketing input costs have meant an increasing uptake in nutrient management planning. This is recognition of the fact that many dairy farmers see nutrient management as a win-win solution.
- The ‘Tried and Tested’ model, as a simple paper-based guide to nutrient management planning, developed by an industry group (NFU, CLA, AIC, FWAG and LEAF) was re-launched in 2009 with the livestock and dairy sectors in mind. ‘Tried and Tested’ guides farmers through the process of creating a nutrient management plan and enables users to manage manure and fertiliser applications more efficiently, highlighting that good nutrient management planning can be straightforward, inexpensive and can offer sound benefits.
- Defra Farm Practices Survey Data. The Industry has asked for additional nutrient management questions to be included in the 2008 survey which reports in August 2009.
- Professional Nutrient Management Group Survey data.
- On target: 47% of dairy farmers responding to the 2008 survey had a NMP plan and updated it on a yearly basis